(253) 460-18001628 S. Mildred #206, Tacoma, WA, 98465
A more comfortable experience.
Nervous about going to the dental office? Well, you can relax! Do you feel stressed simply from the thought of going to the dentist? Has anxiety actually stopped you from going to your teeth cleaning or some other preventive dental care?
“The dentist” is listed in the most common phobias in the USA. You’re not alone. Did you know almost 50 percent of people start to feel uncomfortable or worried whenever thinking about going to the dentist or getting some type of procedure done?
All of our staff has many years of experience in taking good care of the specific needs and worries of our more anxious friends.
In the event that all you want us to do is merely sit down and talk about any fears you might have in the course of a scheduled visit, we will be happy to do that – you being comfortable throughout the visit is a top priority.
Listed here are some of the most well-known dental fears:
Fear of embarrassment about the current condition of their teeth
Fear of gagging
Fear of injections
Fear of loss of control
Fear of Novocain not doing the job as intended
Fear of being in pain
Fear of the dentist as a person
Fear of the hand device (or perhaps the drill)
Fear of the unknown
Fear of dental sounds and smells
The latest technological developments have meant that in some cases, dentists have the ability to take away noisy drills and offer fast and reliable treatment. Additionally, there are a wide variety of safe anesthetics offered to get rid of pain and decrease anxiety during regular appointments. Our office has also been uniquely designed to set you at ease by taking away the majority of the items, sounds and smells of a normal dentist office you may associate with your prior dental appointments.
Comfort Treatment Options
The Dentistry NW team have effective sedation capabilities. We can provide many levels of comfort.
• Topical & Local Anesthesia
We begin with a topical solution that ‘pre-numbs’ the injection area. Then the local anesthesia is used to completely numb the area being treated. This temporarily blocks feeling to the nerve and should last one to two hours or longer.
• Nitrous Oxide Gas
Nitrous oxide gas (laughing gas) is especially useful for scared patients. The calming effects are usually miraculous. A patient that was anxious getting ready for treatment is breathing calmly and visibly relaxing.
• Conscious Sedation
Oral conscious sedation dentistry is now the most common technique used in the North America to relieve dental patient fears. The technique is easy and requires no needles. Best of all, the medications create such a comfortable experience that most patients do not remember the visit; it is as if they slept through the treatment. In reality, oral sedation dentistry enables you to be kept awake throughout the entire procedure, but you likely won’t remember much about your treatment.
• Talk with Dr. Karl Smith – Though it can be challenging to talk about illogical fears with a stranger, Dr. Karl Smith could take additional steps during visits if worries and stress are conveyed. This way, together, we might identify any specific issues or fears and work at conquering these types of problems.
• Bring a portable music player – Music acts as a relaxant as well as drowns out any fear-producing sounds. Enjoying your favorite comforting music through this appointment will help to decrease anxiety.
• Decide on a sign – Quite a few people are afraid that the dentist will not know they may be in substantial pain during the appointment, but will carry on the procedure no matter what. The easiest way to solve this problem is to decide on a “stop” hand sign together with the dentist. Each party can easily comprehend indicators like raising the hand or tapping on the chair.
• Spray the throat – Throat sprays (for instance, Vicks® Chloraseptic® Throat Spray) can actually control the gag reflex. Two or three sprays will often keep the reflex under control for around an hour.
• Take a mirror with you – Not being able to see what is happening can increase anxiety and make your thoughts run wild. Observing the procedure can help keep reality at the front of your mind.
• Sedation – Choosing a comfortable level of sedation provides an excellent alternative for many.
• Talk to us about the treatment – Make sure you let us know the depth and extent of treatment plan explanations you need.
• Go over all of the choices with Dr. Karl Smith and select one that is most effective and creates minimal anxiety.
Virtually Painless Procedures
With today’s dental lasers Dentistry NW can perform procedures that are practically if not totally painless. Treatment with lasers does not require incisions or stitches and greatly reduces healing time.
Fear Can Be Defeated
Within an open and caring setting, patients can be offered dental care realizing they aren’t being judged or simply looked down upon because of their anxiety about dental treatment. We make every effort to do well at the technical aspects of dentistry but equally as essential we make an effort to attend to the person’s emotional requirements. If you have any concerns or questions about how Dentistry NW can help you overcome fear and anxiety, please contact our office.
Dentistry Northwest is hands-down the best dental care I have had in my entire life. Not only are they professional, they are friendly and I feel like family there. Everybody is just fabulous and they take the best care of my family.
One of the things that I appreciate the most is the sense of collaboration in my dental care. My hygienist always has information for me and often times something actually printed for me to take. Dr. Smith is just a character and I enjoy visiting with him if nothing else!
I am older and have had questionable things done to my teeth over the years. Dr. Smith and his staff have brought much of this up-to-date and keep my mouth, teeth and gums as healthy as possible. They are simply the best
I have enjoyed my experience with this dental office for 30 years. As the practice has changed hands, the staff, dentists, and office has remained at an exemplary standard. They hire the best, and perform top tier at industry standards. I enjoy their positive, upbeat style of making the client feel welcomed and relaxed. They always go the extra mile. I enjoy my experience always.
I avoided seeing a dentist for years because I was so afraid. I’m so grateful I found Dentistry NW. The staff is amazing and were so patient with me and all the challenges my anxiety brings. I’ve never felt more comfortable in a dentists chair. The dental assistant even held my hand while I got my shots! Love this office so much.
1628 S. Mildred #206 • Tacoma, WA 98465 Phone: (253) 460-1800 • Fax: (253)460-0697
Monday...................................8:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
Tuesday...................................8:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
Wednesday.............................8:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.
Thursday.................................7:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
Friday.......................................7:30 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
Saturdays by Appointment only between
8:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.